This was cross-posted to a Cloudera forum:
http://community.cloudera.com/t5/Interactive-Short-cycle-SQL/long-codegen-time-while-codegen-disabled/m-p/61635#M3812?eid=1&aid=1,
where I gave the same answer that Mostafa gave.

If you cross-post to multiple related mailing lists and forums, can you
please at least link to the previous post so that people don't waste time
answering the same question twice? We're happy to help but don't appreciate
having our time wasted.