Yes... at least from the mvn command line.  It still can be built fine from
within IntelliJ.

Why do this?

the compiler plugin, but this didn't seem to prohibit the accidental use of
the JDK 1.8 APIs.

So I think it's the only safe way to ensure backward compatibility ... and
it is the way recommended by Maven.

-- D