I am sorry. I didn't realize I was reading the dev list when I was posting
this. Will keep it in mind next time.

I had already tried your approach with multiple workspaces. The problem with
that is, I don't want a workspace for every user, since there might be a lot
of users. So I tried to create a workspace just for the checkedout nodes.
Kind of temporary store. But I use a lot of reference properties in my
nodes, so I couldn't just clone the nodes to the temp. workspace since then
the references are missing. Cross-workspace references aren't possible
right?

So this option isn't working out for me either.

thnx