hi julian

sorry for a short reply, that doesn't provide detailed

i'd suggest that we review all the implications of
such a redesign from a jsr170 perspective, before
we start modifying the current design.

this includes the various ways, how an item can
be accessed (uuid, path) as well as the handling of
same-name-siblings and all kind of implications
of limited access permissions.

and maybe the following issue is related to yours:
yukka and marcel recently discussed the the design
of the NodeState within jackrabbit and the jcr2spi.
based on this discussion we are going to redefine
the childNodeEntries concept. either of them may
shed some more light on this...

kind regards
angela