hi jukka

Another issue that came up is whether and how such a persistence model
would work with the SPI. I had considered the SPI as the primary
interface to use when prototyping/implementing this persistence
proposal, but it seems that the handling of the transient space as a
"draft revision" doesn't resonate well with the SPI model of keeping
the transient space on the client side. Any ideas on how to best
resolve this?

i don't have a solution at hand. but i think its worth keeping
the SPI in mind, when redesigning the jackrabbit core.
for reasons you kept pointing to during the last month such
as multiple efforts and bringing together the 2 jcr implementations.
second i think that one of the problems with jackrabbit
core is it monolithic structure and the lack of clear separation
between the various layers. this was one of the reasons that forced
us to throw away almost everything we initially wanted to use
from jackrabbit-core while building the jcr2spi layer.

kind regards
angela