On Jul 4, 2007, at 12:42 AM, Arje Cahn wrote:

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed on the list already, but
what happens to Jackrabbit when the Apache JCP policy proposal gets
voted in and the ASF will no longer accept a JSR-283 TCK? (or is that
not the case..?)

Day published the JSR 170 TCK under a completely open license.
AFAIK (and I should know), Day is going to use the same license
for JSR 283.  All of the tests for 170 are the same as those used
in the Jackrabbit maven build, though some are on the exclusion list
by now (meaning other implementations don't have to pass them).
And the work products of the EG are all public on java.net.

In order to do all that, Day had to develop our own test harness
that would not be encumbered by Sun's proprietary harness and NDA,
and our own license that would allow self-testing under the official
TCK (which can be downloaded for free at www.day.com).
You can find that harness in the Jackrabbit subversion as well.

Note that you only need the TCK if you are implementing an
independent implementation, or if you want to certify a forked
version of Jackrabbit.  The Apache Jackrabbit release builds are
already tested against the TCK.

Will this have any negative consequences for the progress of
Jackrabbit 2.0?

I don't think so.  Even if Apache were to completely exit the JCP,
David's policy has been to add individuals to the expert group.

....Roy