OK,

sorry for getting back to this discussion late.

I modified the test case so that the InvalidItemStateException indeed occurs with jackrabbit-core (see attachment).

I think we have consensus that JSR-170 doesn't require a store to behave like that; it's truly optional.

Now, with the same test and with jcr2spi (connecting to jackrabbit-core through spi2jcr) the InvalidItemStateException is *not* thrown.

This doesn't come as a surprise, because -- as far as I understand -- JCR2SPI lacks the necessary information to do so.

It seems to me that the SPI APIshould *allow* stores to expose the same behaviour as jackrabbit-core, and the simplest way to achieve that would (IMHO) be to allow the SPI implementation to keep state. (*)

Feedback appreciated,

Julian

(*) Right now, when it does keep state, we see TCK failures, as JCR's refresh() method is not delegated to the SPI SessionInfo. I think we need to fix that.

/*
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
 * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
 * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
 * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
 * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

package org.apache.jackrabbit.benchmark;

import java.io.ByteArrayInputStream;
import java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException;
import java.util.Calendar;

import javax.jcr.InvalidItemStateException;
import javax.jcr.Node;
import javax.jcr.Property;
import javax.jcr.RepositoryException;
import javax.jcr.Session;

import org.apache.jackrabbit.test.AbstractJCRTest;

public class ConcurrentUpdateTest extends AbstractJCRTest {

  public void testoverlappingUpdate() throws RepositoryException,
UnsupportedEncodingException {

    String testcontent = "base version";

    Session session1 = testRootNode.getSession();
    Session session2 = helper.getReadWriteSession();

    assertTrue(session1 != session2);

    // create the test node

    Node testnode = testRootNode.addNode("testconcurrent", "nt:file");
    String testnodepath = testnode.getPath();
    Node testnodec = testnode.addNode("jcr:content", "nt:resource");
    testnodec.setProperty("jcr:data", new
ByteArrayInputStream(testcontent.getBytes("UTF-8")));
    testnodec.setProperty("jcr:lastModified", Calendar.getInstance());
    testnodec.setProperty("jcr:mimeType", "text/plain");
    session1.save();
    session1.refresh(false);

    // retrieve it through both sessions

    Node n1 = (Node)session1.getItem(testnodepath);
    Node c1 = n1.getNode("jcr:content");
    Property d1 = c1.getProperty("jcr:data");
    assertEquals(testcontent, d1.getString());

    Node n2 = (Node)session2.getItem(testnodepath);
    Node c2 = n2.getNode("jcr:content");
    Property d2 = c2.getProperty("jcr:data");
    assertEquals(testcontent, d2.getString());

    // modify through session1

    c1.setProperty("jcr:data", testcontent + ", as modified by session 1");

    // modify persisted property through session 2
    c2.setProperty("jcr:data", testcontent + ", as modified by session 2");
    n2.save();

    // now try to save session 1... should fail
    try {
        n1.save();
        fail("expected InvalidItemStateException");
    }
    catch (InvalidItemStateException expected) {
        //
    }
  }

}