Hello,

I am looking to write a Subversion/WebDAV server in java, and I would like to get thoughts from the community about how this might fit into Jackrabbit and JCR. Forgive me if this kind of thing has been discussed or documented somewhere - I searched through the mailing list archives, and only found this thread from 2006, which doesn't seem to be quite what I have in mind: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg01996.html

A bit more about what I'm envisioning:
- protocol-compatible with existing Subversion / DAV clients
- standard servlet-based web app, deployable in Tomcat, etc.
- compatible with existing SVN repository file format on disk
- JNI bridge to Subversion's repository API for backend access to existing repositories (libsvn_repos.so)
- OSS license (Apache 2.0 style)

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would sensibly fit into the Jackrabbit architecture diagram (http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-architecture.html). At the very least, I'd hope to be able to re-use the WebDAV server component. But would the protocol and file compatibility requirements might make fitting into the rest of Jackrabbit problematic?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm still figuring out architecture details, obviously, so I'm hoping to avoid a big blunder that I'll have to re-work later :-). I've written a quick & dirty prototype that does some simple SVN operations (checkout, update) using another WebDAV library, but Jackrabbit seems industrial-strength, with a good community behind it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Brown




Reply via email to