Currently, Jackrabbit sessions are somewhat synchronized, but not
completely (for example it's still possible to concurrently read and
update data). There were some problems because of that, and probably
there still are.

I believe it's better to synchronize all methods in the session (on
the session object). This includes methods on nodes and properties and
so on. If this does turn out to be a performance problem, we can
remove synchronization where required (and where it can safely be
removed) or change the implementation (use immutable objects or safe
data structures).

This is more conservative, but I think the impact on performance will
be minimal. Of course performance is important, however I think data
consistency is more important than the possible gain of a few percents
of (read-) performance.

Regards,
Thomas