Hi

An alternative is: download the old Jackrabbit jar files when running
the tests (download the jar files dynamically when required, for
example to the target directory), and then load them using a custom
class loader, or create the old repository in a separate process.

While this is currently not required, it would be more flexible (can
support very large repositories, and comparing against many versions
of Jackrabbit).

The same approach can be used by migration tools (migrate a repository
from any old version of Jackrabbit to a new version).

It's just an idea (I don't have plans to implement this myself
currently). But I do have some source code:
http://code.google.com/p/h2database/source/browse/trunk/h2/src/tools/org/h2/dev/util/Migrate.java
- this standalone class migrates from an old database version to a new
version.

Regards,
Thomas