To whom it may concern...

Jackrabbit's RMI support has been essentially unmaintained for half a
decade now, and also does not support JCR 2.0.

We recently had to go into emergence mode due to vulnerabilities of
components used by us when accessed over RMI (see
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2023-37895).

and standalone bundles (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-4960),
and have removed the use of the vulnerable component
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-4949).

As next steps, I'd like to first formally deprecate jackrabbit-jcr-rmi
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-4973), and then later remove
it altogether (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-4972). The
deprecation would get backported to the stable maintenance branch
(2.20.x), while the removal would only happen in the unstable branch for
now.

Feedback appreciated (eiher here or in the tickets).

Best regards, Julian