Hello,

Your idea is good, and(but) needs a lot of works.

Please note, you can do this with another way:
1/ use a JDBC sampler with a SQL SELECT on a database, around a Once
only controller which start first in test
2/ and JMeter's function __V{}
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html#__V
to build dynamically variables name from SELECT results.

This way is limited by JVM memory (all rows are store in memory by JDBC
SELECT request), but for a small list (<10.000 rows) this is a good way.

I wrote a french tutorial in 2 parts to do this.
http://blog.milamberspace.net/index.php/2009/06/12/jmeter-utilisation-de-lelement-jdbc-comme-source-de-donnees-pour-un-test-de-charge-partie-1-311.html
http://blog.milamberspace.net/index.php/2009/06/13/jmeter-utilisation-de-lelement-jdbc-comme-source-de-donnees-pour-un-test-de-charge-partie-2-317.html
(sorry, it's in french, but some screen-shots shows the way)

Milamber