On 02.10.2011 15:49, sebb wrote:
> On 1 October 2011 14:33, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A little additional note,
>> There is an implementation of Concurrent map by doug lea in concurrent.jar
>> called ConcurrentReaderHashMap
>> that has same performance as HashMap in read and a little less on write.
>> But performances are much better than ConcurrentHashMap.
>> So maybe a better alternative but requires concurrent-1.3.4.jar from:
>>
>>   -
>>   http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html
>>

> That looks interesting, however the licensing is not at all clear to
> me, and AFAICT we would only want the one class, not the entire jar.
>
> So it's quite a lot of extra complication for what is just a local
> optimisation.

Concerning license the page says:

"All classes are released to the public domain and may be used for any
purpose whatsoever without permission or acknowledgment. Portions of the
CopyOnWriteArrayList and ConcurrentReaderHashMap classes are adapted
from Sun JDK source code. These are copyright of Sun Microsystems, Inc,
and are used with their kind permission, as described in this license."

and "this license" is another link to a PDF.

Legal has already resolved that one:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#concurrent

Regards,

Rainer