No, the issue JBEHAVE-755 address a different concern: that of retrying in the same execution run, not in a subsequent one, which is what you seem to be after (if I understood correctly).

If you want to use the RestartingScenarioFailure, then as already said you need to implement yourself the logic for when it's thrown, by catching a known exception:

@Given("user is on Home page")
    public void userIsOnHomePage() {
        try {
            pages.home().open();
        } catch ( YourException e ) {
            throw new RestartingScenarioFailure(e);
        }
    }

Implementing the full retry logic is not trivial, as already said, and touches the internals of the runner. I don't think it's possible to implement with the current low-level 3.8 API.

If you have problems accessing JIRA, please raise an issue at https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/HAUS.