Hi Miguel,
Hi Ying,

This message is to suggest how we organise over the summer.

1/ technical discussion in public on dev@.

(and everyone else, feel free to join in!)

2/ git or svn

Both projects can start outside the codebase and that'll mean the process of changing trunk won't get in your way. Do whatever is simplest for you.

You may not need to use the codebase at all initially and rely on snapshot builds but if you do need the codebase you can either work against the subversion codebase or the mirror on github.

Much of this is personal preference.

Personally, I'd work on github and use git for the GSoC project because it's good experience. That said, the one feature that svn has is that you can checkout a part of the tree. (git sparse checkout probably also works : I've only used it once, briefly.) However, having the whole of trunk locally, and importing only specific parts into Eclipse/etc works well for me.

3/ Changing Jena itself.

You'll probably find things that are broken, things that get in your way or should be done better in the codebase. The main thing is to not let the existing codebase slow you down. Raise a JIRA about the issue so we have a permanent record.

Miguel - attach a patch. From incoming stuff we've received, a github pull request seems to do something useful.

Ying - you have commit rights. We usually have a commit-then-review style, in other words, just go ahead and make the change. If you put the text string JENA-NNN into the svn commit message then a comment noting the commit automatically get added to the JIRA.

4/ Weekly.

When we start properly (May 19), could you at least send a message each week about what you've done and what you are doing next. Nothing long is needed - just a few lines. But don't wait for the weekly clock-tick if there is anything you want to discuss.

5/ Timelines and plans.

Each project has a timeline and plan. I don't believe them! or rather, I see them as the best view at the time they were written and as the project progresses, and more experience and insight is gained, they may well become inaccurate and even downright wrong. Also, "stuff happens" and something takes longer than expected (it's rarely that things take shorter :-). It's normal to revise the plans.

6/ Release early, release often.

There are several good reasons for this - getting feedback from anyone interested as well as not putting off the setting up of the build process for the project until the last minute.

        Andy