Fixed, and in case you come across this in other situations:

maven-plugin-javadoc now ignores <additionalparam>

Instead, there is <doclint>.

This does not seem to be mentioned anywhere, at least I could not find except buried deep inside JIRA.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MJAVADOC-511

I don't understand why locally I don't get javadoc errors when running locally, but they do occur on Jenkins.

The only differences between ASF Jenkins and my local machine that might be relevant is that I run OpenJDK and our Jenkins jobs run Oracle JDK (OpenJDK is available though it lags and has less slave availability).

    Andy

<additionalparam>-Xdoclint:none</additionalparam>
==>
<doclint>none</doclint>