JenaUUID predates UUID.

Yep - it is really old.

V1 UUIDs used to be the more encouraged form ... nowadays they aren't - they don't even work really.

Why? devices don't have a guaranteed 48 bit address or anything else to seed the device unique part.

Fine, when everything was a computer with network hadware.
Then came the desire to have them on small devices, not, connected devices, and then on VMs. No reliable unique 48bit number.

I don't think the guessablity of the next id was much of an issue.

Generating V1 ids requires synchronization or batch allocation; V4 can be generated in parallel.

JenaUUID, originally called JUUID, came about to have URNs-style ids but also to write down the details of UUIDs.

Today, maybe it would be a library of static functions to add functionality around UUIDs, especially producing URI strings.

They are both objects which are a pair of longs.

V1 UUIDs are easier to debug if there are several around - the numbers move up incrementally.

    Andy