Hello,
I tend to follow Vladimir's reasoning on this.

Next release would support Java7 , I suppose it would be released around
september (which is more than 4 month after 3.0), based on this speed,
Java8 would concern a release made on january or february.

I believe maintaining a new branch for Java8 is a bit too much work.
We already have a lot of work and we're short of resources already, so I
will personally find it very hard to merge the branches knowing furthermore
we are using SVN and not GIT which would make this a bit more easier (But I
don't want to start again the debate on git :-) ).

In my opinion migration to Java8 doesn't have to immediately migrate
everything to the new syntax, it should be done when it concerns a new
feature or improves drastically things.

Besides, maybe we should have some rules of developments with Java8
features like lambda or streams.
I found this blog interesting on this:
- https://dzone.com/articles/java-8-top-tips

Regards