Hi Felix,
Ok by me if you want to be release manager on 5.1

Thanks for your clarifications.
Maybe amending the documentation of our release process would help .

For example to amend KEYS:
(gpg --list-sigs "First-Name Last-Name" && gpg --armor --export "First-Name
Last-Name") >> KEYS

See my notes inline.

Thanks

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 7:58 AM Felix Schumacher <
felix.schumac...@internetallee.de> wrote:

> Am 6. Februar 2019 22:39:24 MEZ schrieb Philippe Mouawad <
> p.moua...@ubik-ingenierie.com>:
> >Hello,
> >
> >We now have :
> >
> >   - 30 enhancements
> >   - 51 bugfixes
> >
> >I think the nightly is ready to be released.
> >
> >What's your opinion ?
>
> Yes. We should do a release.
>
> >Is there a volunteer for release management ?
>
> I would be willing to do so, but I would need a pgp key like you do :)
>
> >If not I'll try to , but I see there are some steps where I'll need
> >help
> >from usual release manager:
> >I don't understand this:
> >
> >   -
> >
> > If necessary, update the META file with your GPG key id (if you act as
> >   the release manager for the first time. Please visit
> >https://checker.apache.org/doc/README.html )  => HOW DO I GET The key
> >id
> >   ?
>
> You generate a pgp/gpg key pair. The key from that pair has an ID that is
> assigned automatically upon generation.

If you mean personal one for my apache id, I did that.

> The public part of the pair will have to be signed by some known keys, so
> that it can be verified by others that have no direct contact to you (but
> trust the known keys).

I don't remember how I did this but it seems it is also done

> >   -
> >    - The META file needs to be signed by the PMC Chair of project with
> >      this command:
> >
> >gpg -u emailofpmcchairjme...@apache.org --armor --output META.asc
> >--detach-sig META
>
> This is done to have a known place where our key ids can be found. Those
> key ids are signed by the chair, so others can verify that the project
> trusts those values.

So  the documentation is wrong ?
It should be :
The META file needs to be signed by the release manager  with this command:
gpg -u emailofreleasemanagermemberofpmcchairjme...@apache.org
<emailofpmcchairjme...@apache.org> --armor --output META.asc --detach-sig
META

Or I misunderstand ?

> >=> Can I sign it or must it be milamber ?
>
> The meta file seems to be signed by milamber (but only when the id's are
> added)

So If I add my ID to KEYS, can I (you) sign it, or must it be Milamber ?

> >   - To verify the good signature, use this command:
> >
> >$ gpg --verify META.asc METAgpg: Signature made mar. 12 sept. 2017
> >18:05:19 WESTgpg:                using RSA key
> >C4923F9ABFB2F1A06F08E88BAC214CAA0612B399gpg:                issuer
> >"milam...@apache.org"gpg: Good signature from "Milamber (ASF)
> ><milam...@apache.org>" [ultimate]gpg:                 aka "Milamber
> >(Milamberspace) <milambersp...@gmail.com>" [ultimate]
> >
> >=> When I do it
> >gpg --verify META.asc META
> >gpg: Signature made Tue 12 Sep 2017 05:05:19 PM UTC using RSA key ID
> >0612B399
> >gpg: Can't check signature: No public key
>
> I haven't tried that one, will have to do it when I am home again.
>

> >Sorry for stupid questions.
>
> PGP is hard to understand and to get correctly handled.

I agree :-)

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.