Am 05.10.19 um 20:38 schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
>> First, If a forced commit is pushed, the subsequent commit email will
>> contain '[Forced Update!]' in the subject line
> The Board has decided force push could be allowed for development branches.
> However, our current master branch is protected.
>
> I suggest we un-protect it.
>
> This would enable:
> 1) Roll-back commits. For now, we can do only "revert-commits". However,
> the commits clutter history.
> 2) Edit commits. For instance, Felix pushed recently "update documentation
> from Ant to Gradle" as four independent commits. If master branch was
> un-protected, we could combine the commits and re-structure it as a single
> commit with nice summary.
> 3) "oops", "make checkstyle happy", etc could be combined. Then Git history
> would be easier to follow, and bug analysis would be simpler.
> 3) Edit commit messages. For instance, if the wording is not that good, we
> could edit the message. For instance, we could add BugZilla ID or whatever.
>
> WDYT?

At the moment I don't think the value of the points above are worth the
risk of accidentally changing history, that we didn't intend to change.

I admit that it would be nicer to have concise commits rather than the
clutter that I sometimes have committed, but it hasn't bitten me yet on
my archaeological expeditions in the sources to find some bad change.

Felix