All JSPWikil changes (also markup changes) are documented in the ChangeLog.
Larger changes possibly breaking compatible with older versions are
typically linked to specific releases.
Which  allows 3rd party developers to keep customisations compatible to
certain version baselines.

JSPWIKI.Properties, on the other hand, have a different purpose.  They
provide tools for the
administrator to manage the setting of certain features.
Properties are not meant to replace the version control mechanism.

In this particular case (support for the triple %) ; there is no risk to
break any
customisations.  Basically the proposal exploits a current rendering bug,
and turns it into a useful feature,  which would offer more flexibility to
JSPWiki
for future front-end customisations.

The JSPWiki syntax, although quite stable, has surely evolved over time.
(many small incremental steps)
We did not introduce on/off syntax properties for this, and that has worked
very well.

EG Many new %%classes were added gradually. And with Haddock becoming the
default template,
even more %%bootstrap-classes are now available as part of the default
JSPWiki deployment.
(potentially breaking some customisations)

Note
As the editor preview function relies on a SERVER side rendering of a page,
 all
customisations, plugins, filters which are installed are automatically
applied as well.
So also covering syntax related customisations.

Br,
   dirk