HI Arturo and Juan Pablo,

I don't disagree with anything either of you have written. I'm all in
favour of the ReentrantLock replacement via a Synchronizer pattern.

I'm only suggesting, as does both Larman/Guthrie and the quoted section
("There is no need to replace synchronized blocks and methods that are
used infrequently (e.g., only performed at startup)..."), that the
double-null-checked synchronized blocks used to protect singletons is
likely still a simpler and better practice, and there'd be little
benefit of a ReentrantLock in those cases. These are only called at
the moment when the singleton is created, i.e., once per session.

Cheers,

Murray