WRT to hierarchical topics, I'm referring to
KAFKA-1175<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1175>.
I would just like to think through the implications for the Consumer API if
and when we do implement hierarchical topics. For example, in the
proposal<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Hierarchical+Topics#>written
by Jay, he says that initially wildcard subscriptions are not going
to be supported. But does that mean that they will be supported in v2? If
that's the case, that would change the semantics of the Consumer API.

As to having classes for Topic, PartitionId, etc. it looks like I was
referring to the TopicPartition and TopicPartitionOffset classes (I didn't
realize these were already there). I was only looking at the confluence
page which shows List[(String, Int, Long)] instead of
List[TopicParitionOffset] (as is shown in the javadoc). However, I did
notice that we're not being consistent in the Java version. E.g. we have
commit(TopicPartitionOffset... offsets) and
lastCommittedOffsets(TopicPartition... partitions) on the one hand. On the
other hand we have subscribe(String topic, int... partitions). I agree that
creating a class for TopicId today would probably not make too much sense
today. But with hierarchical topics, I may change my mind. This is exactly
what was done in the HBase API in 0.96 when namespaces were added. 0.96
HBase API introduced a class called 'TableName' to represent the namespace
and table name.