Hi Sönke Liebau
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=dev@kafka.apache.org&q=from:%22S%C3%B6nke+Liebau%22>

Thanks for the great detailed documentation. However, I feel by leaving the
KMS outside of Kafka might simplify the whole thing to a great extent. If
the broker is not going to touch the encrypted messages, why would we put
any dependency of KMS interfaces on the Broker. We have experimented doing
end-to-end message encryption and we used topic level keys and message
encryption with serializer wrapper which encrypts each message before
serializing. The serializer wrapper have to integrate with required KMS we
use internally and that was all.

However one key observation we had was - if we could do encryption at
'batch' level instead of 'per-message' it can perform much better
(depending upon batch sizing). We didn't experiment with that though.

Thanks
Maulin