Hello all,

We run into a scenario where we had misconfigured the replication factor
and the minimum in-sync replicas count in such a way that the replication
factor (either default or defined at the topic level) is strictly lower
than the property min.insync.replicas.

We observed broker metrics reporting UnderReplicatedPartitions = 0 and
UnderMinPartitionIsrCount > 0, and the topic’s partitions were unavailable
for producers (with ack=all) and consumers.

Since it seems to be impossible in this scenario to ever reach the number
of in-sync replicas, making partitions permanently unavailable, it could be
worth to prevent this misconfiguration to make its way to the broker, e.g.
a check could be added when a topic is created to ensure the replication
factor is greater than or equals to the minimum number of in-sync replicas.

I may have missed something though. What do you think?

Thank you,
Alexandre