Sorry! Colin, I may not have been clear in my earlier query about
optional field type restriction. It is mentioned in one of your
replies "optional fields are serialized starting with their total
length". This brings the question of whether optional fields support
struct types (with or without array values). It seems struct types are
currently not serialized with total length. I may be missing something
here.

Thanks,
Satish.