+1 (binding)

A couple of comments on the details:

- I think this might be the first time we're adding a new message type to
the config topic. Might be worth noting that (somewhat unfortunately) we
currently log unknown keys as an error. Kinda unclear whether it should be
an error or warn (since it could legitimately indicate bad data in the
config topic). During upgrade/downgrade this means we could log errors
(given all nodes will have had to upgrade first, I think probably only in
case of reverting).

- I think it would be worthwhile considering a more flexible, extensible
solution to the connect subprotocol. In particular, we're not even changing
the protocol, but are just using the version number to indicate feature
support. Another way of doing this which would still require a protocol
version bump but would allow us more flexibility moving forward *without*
bumping versions would be to introduce a field that does something like
KIP-35, where the field is a flexible list of "features" supported by the
client. We lose a bit of automatic resolution of the best protocol to use,
but it avoids having to bump versions unnecessarily. In this case, we'd
just include something like "internal_security" as a supported feature, the
leader would determine if everyone supports it, and if so make use of it.
The main reason I bring this up is that bumping versions for every small
semantic change gets expensive given the defaults we want to support. We
can eventually retire some of the older protocols on a major version bump,
but given this new proposal we'll be sending 3x the subprotocol data and
any further changes will only make that cost worse.

- There is a seemingly arbitrary 1 minute timeout for picking up renewed
session ids. It seems like this should probably be tied to some
corresponding group timeout, e.g. maybe the session.timeout.

-Ewen