Thanks Jason for the KIP.
+1 (non-binding).

I assume this change will be added to the upgrade notes as the new
values are effective for clusters that were using earlier defaults.
Cluster may get into the race condition of having lower
replica.lag.time.max.ms  on a leader than zookeeper.session.timeout on
a follower replica till all the brokers are upgraded but that would
not break any semantics.