>>  I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around what race conditions
might occur, other than the fundamentally broken state in which different
instances are running totally different topologies.
3. @both Without the topic partitions that the tasks can map back to, we
have to rely on topology/cluster metadata in each Streams instance to map
the task back. If the source topics are wild carded for e,g then each
instance could have different source topics in topology, until the next
rebalance happens. You can also read my comments from here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-7149?focusedCommentId=16904106&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16904106

>> seems hard to imagine how encoding arbitrarily long topic names plus an
integer for the partition number could be as efficient as task ids, which
are just two integers.
3. if you still have concerns about the efficacy of dictionary encoding,
happy to engage. The link above also has some benchmark code I used.
Theoretically, we would send each topic name atleast once, so yes if you
compare a 10-20 character topic name + an integer to two integers, it will
be more bytes. But its constant overhead proportional to size of topic name
and with 4,8,12, partitions the size difference between baseline (version 4
where we just repeated topic names for each topic partition) and the two
approaches becomes narrow.

>>Plus, Navinder is going to implement a bunch of protocol code that we
might just want to change when the discussion actually does take place, if
ever.
>>it'll just be a mental burden for everyone to remember that we want to
have this follow-up discussion.
3. Is n't people changing same parts of code and tracking follow ups a
common thing, we need to deal with anyway?  For this KIP, is n't it enough
to reason about whether the additional map on top of the topic dictionary
would incur more overhead than the sending task_ids? I don't think it's
case, both of them send two integers. As I see it, we can do a separate
follow up to (re)pursue the task_id conversion and get it working for both
maps within the next release?

>>Can you elaborate on "breaking up the API"? It looks like there are
already separate API calls in the proposal, one for time-lag, and another
for offset-lag, so are they not already broken up?
The current APIs (e.g lagInfoForStore) for lags return StoreLagInfo objects
which has both time and offset lags. If we had separate APIs, say (e.g
offsetLagForStore(), timeLagForStore()), we can implement offset version
using the offset lag that the streams instance already tracks i.e no need
for external calls. The time based lag API would incur the kafka read for
the timestamp. makes sense?

Based on the discussions so far, I only see these two pending issues to be
aligned on. Is there any other open item people want to bring up?