Hello all,

While https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170> is under review and it’s almost
done, I want to resurrect discussion about this KIP to address couple of
concerns raised by Matthias and John.

As a reminder, idea of the KIP-221 was to allow DSL users control over
repartitioning and parallelism of sub-topologies by:
1) Introducing new KStream#repartition operation which is done in
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170>
2) Add new KStream#groupBy(Repartitioned) operation, which is planned to be
separate PR.

While all agree about general implementation and idea behind
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170> PR, introducing new
KStream#groupBy(Repartitioned) method overload raised some questions during the
review.
Matthias raised concern that there can be cases when user uses
`KStream#groupBy(Repartitioned)` operation, but actual repartitioning may not
required, thus configuration passed via `Repartitioned` would never be applied
(Matthias, please correct me if I misinterpreted your comment).
So instead, if user wants to control parallelism of sub-topologies, he or she
should always use `KStream#repartition` operation before groupBy. Full comment
can be seen here:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170#issuecomment-519303125
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7170#issuecomment-519303125>

On the same topic, John pointed out that, from API design perspective, we
shouldn’t intertwine configuration classes of different operators between one
another. So instead of introducing new `KStream#groupBy(Repartitioned)` for
specifying number of partitions for internal topic, we should update existing
`Grouped` class with `numberOfPartitions` field.

Personally, I think Matthias’s concern is valid, but on the other hand Kafka
Streams has already optimizer in place which alters topology independently from
user. So maybe it makes sense if Kafka Streams, internally would optimize
topology in the best way possible, even if in some cases this means ignoring
some operator configurations passed by the user. Also, I agree with John about
API design semantics. If we go through with the changes for `KStream#groupBy`
operation, it makes more sense to add `numberOfPartitions` field to `Grouped`
class instead of introducing new `KStream#groupBy(Repartitioned)` method
overload.

I would really appreciate communities feedback on this.

Kind regards,
Levani