Hi Guozhang,

Your understanding of the rationale is accurate, and what you suggest is
completely plausible, however I have a slightly different take on the
situation.

When the KIP was originally drafted, making KafkaProducer#send asynchronous
was one element of the changes (this is a little more general than (a), but
has similar implications). As you're aware, doing so would allow new topics
to aggregate since the producer could continue to push new records, whereas
today the producer thread is blocked waiting for resolution.

However, there were concerns about changing client behavior unexpectedly in
this manner, and the change isn't as trivial as one would hope. For
example, we'd have to introduce an intermediate queue of records for topics
without metadata, and have that play well with the buffer pool which
ensures the memory limit isn't exceeded. A side effect is that a producer
could hit 'memory full' conditions easier, which could have unintended
consequences if, say, the model was setup such that different producer
threads produced to a disjoint set of topics. Where one producer thread was
blocked waiting for new metadata, it could now push enough data to block
all producer threads due to memory limits, so we'd need to be careful here.

For case (a) described, another concern would be adding additional a new
source of latency (possibly seconds) for new topics. Not a huge issue, but
it is new behavior to existing clients and adds to the complexity of
verifying no major regressions.

It also wouldn't resolve all cases we're interested in. One behavior we're
witnessing is the following: a producer generates to a very large number of
topics (several thousand), however the period of consecutive records for a
topic can often be beyond the current hard-coded expiry of 5 minutes.
Therefore, when the producer does submit a request for this topic after 5
minutes, it has to request all of the topic metadata again. While batching
new topics in the start-up case would definitely help, here it would likely
be lost effort.

Being able to increase the metadata eviction for the above case would
improve things, but there's no perfect value when consecutive produce times
can be modelled as a probability distribution. Rather, the better solution
could be what we discussed earlier, where we'd lower the eviction timeout,
but make the cost of fetching uncached topic metadata much smaller.

The changes in the KIP were meant to improve the general case without
affecting external client behavior, and then the plan was to fix the
asynchronous send in the next iteration, if necessary. Point (b) is along
the lines of the latest revision: only send requests for uncached topics,
if they exist, otherwise request the full working set. Piggy-backing was
originally included, but removed because its utility was in doubt.

So to summarize, you're correct in that asynchronous topic fetching would
be a big improvement, and should be an item of future work. However what
this KIP proposes should be the safest/easiest set of changes to resolve
the current pain points. Please let me know if you agree/disagree with this
assessment.

Thanks,
Brian