Hi,

I'd like to discuss adding a new argument to kafka-configs.sh
(ConfigCommand.scala).

Recently I've been working on some things that require complex
configurations. I've chosen to represent them as JSON strings in my
server.properties. This works well, and I'm able to update the
configurations by editing server.properties and restarting the broker. I've
added the ability to dynamically configure them, and that works well using
the AdminClient. However, when I try to update these configurations using
kafka-configs.sh, I run into a problem. My configurations contain commas,
and kafka-configs.sh tries to break them up into key/value pairs at the
comma boundary.

I'd like to enable setting these configurations from the command line, so
I'm proposing that we add a new option to kafka-configs.sh that takes a
properties file.

I've created a KIP for this idea:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-574%3A+CLI+Dynamic+Configuration+with+file+input
And a JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9612

I'd appreciate your feedback on the proposal.

Thanks,
Aneel