Hello Feyman, thanks for the proposal!

I read through the doc and overall it looks good to me.

One minor thing I'd still like to point out is that, the
"removeMembersFromConsumerGroup" only sends a leave-group request to the
coordinator to let it remove the member, however, if the member is still
there alive and running then it would soon be notified that it is no longer
a legal member of the group via heartbeats, and then automatically tries to
re-join the group. So on the operational side, it is still required that
the following steps:

1) first stop the consumers (of streams instances), wait until the shutdown
is complete.
2) then use admin client in case the stopped consumers are still registered
at the broker side and we do not want to wait for session timeout.

Even with this KIP, people should still not skip step 1) above, since
otherwise the consumers would re-connect and re-join the group immediately
still.

In your doc you've already mentioned "Furthermore, users should make sure
all the stream applications are shutdown when running StreamsResetter with
--force, otherwise it might trigger unexpected rebalance. " What I'd want
to clarify is that no matter if "--force" option is enabled, this is always
the case that users should shutdown the streams instances first, and then
use the streams resetter :)

As long as that is clarified in the proposal documentation, I'm +1 on this
KIP.

Thanks again for the contribution,
Guozhang

--