Hi,

Hi all,

Thanks for the discussion so far.

It seems a bit weird to me that when configuring the Conditional SMT with a
DSL you would use a concise, intuitive DSL for expressing the condition,
but not for the transforms that it's guarding. It also seems natural, if
you support this for conditionally applying SMTs, that you'd soon want to
support the same thing for a generic filter transformer. Then, if you can
configure a filter transformation using this DSL, it becomes odd that you
can't do this for mapping transformations. I think it would be a mistake to
go specifying an expression language for conditions when really that might
just be part of a language for transformations.

I think it would be possible today to write an SMT which allowed you to
express the transformation in a DSL. Concretely, it's possible to imagine a
single transformation taking a DSL something like this:

  compose(
    Flatten.Key(delimiter: ':'),
    If(condition: TopicMatches(pattern: "blah-.*"),
       then: Flatten.Value(delimiter: '/')))

All I've really done here, beyond what was already proposed, is rename
Conditional to If, imagine a couple more bits of syntax
(SMTs being constructed by class name and named argument invocation syntax
to support SMT constructors) and add a higher level compose() function for
chaining SMTs (which could easily be replaced with brace delimited blocks).

That may be a discussion we should have, but I think in _this_ KIP we
should focus on the conditional part, since the above example hopefully
shows that it would be possible to reuse it in a DSL if there was appetite
for that.

With that in mind, and since my original suggestion for an abbreviated
config syntax didn't appeal to people, I propose that we stick with the
existing norms for configuring this.
The previous example would look like this:

transformation: flattenKey,if
transformation.flattenKey.type: Flatten.Key
transformation.flattenKey.delimiter: :
transformation.if.type: If
transformation.if.condition.type: TopicMatches
transformation.if.condition.pattern: blah-.*
transformation.if.then: flattenValue
transformation.if.then.flattenValue.type: Flatten.Value
transformation.if.then.flattenValue.delimiter: /

Also, I'm inclined to think we should stick to just supporting TopicMatches
and Not, since we've not identified an actual need for 'has-header', 'or'
and 'and'.

An example of the usage of Not would look like this:

transformation: flattenKey,if
transformation.flattenKey.type: Flatten.Key
transformation.flattenKey.delimiter: :
transformation.if.type: If
transformation.if.condition.type: Not
transformation.if.condition.operand: startsWithBlah
transformation.if.condition.operand.startsWithBlah.type: TopicMatches
transformation.if.condition.operand.startsWithBlah.pattern: blah-.*
transformation.if.then: flattenValue
transformation.if.then.flattenValue.type: Flatten.Value
transformation.if.then.flattenValue.delimiter: /

Hopefully we can agree that this allows the conditional SMT part to make
progress without getting bogged down.

Thoughts? If this seems broadly reasonable, I'll update the KIP.

Kind regards,

Tom