Hello all,

Apologies for the excavation. +1 (non-binding).

One of the advantage I see having the metrics exposed by Kafka, as
opposed to a system monitoring tool, is that it can be refined to
provide a segregated view on the consumption of disk resources, for
instance factored by topic or principal.

Another metrics I think could be useful would be the latency of file
read/write on Kafka's ingest or fetch data paths.
The motivation would be to help correlate the degradation of
applicative throughput with that of the file system read or write,
which happens for instance when the page cache becomes saturated and
synchronous page frame reclamation starts slowing down write(2)
syscalls.

Do you think that could be a useful addition to the metrics generated
by Apache Kafka?

Many thanks,
Alexandre