Hi Mickael,

The KIP looks great and the additional formatters seem like excellent tools
for debugging and diving into the internals of Mirror Maker 2.0. I've got a
few thoughts on the proposed changes:

1. Would it be possible to provide examples for what the actual output
might look like when the console consumer is run with the newly-proposed
formatters, and the commands users could run to make that happen?

2. Even though the existing MessageFormatter trait is currently in the core
project, it's still mentioned in the usage for the console consumer, and
it's possible that users may have already implemented their own formatters
based on this information, which is part of the public API. At the same
time, if we do want to make this an official part of the public API for
Kafka, I do agree that it'd be best to make that interface available in the
clients project. What do you think about retaining the existing
"kafka.common.MessageFormatter" trait, but making it extend from the
newly-proposed "org.apache.kafka.common.MessageFormatter" interface? That
way, any existing tools that extend from the old MessageFormatter trait
will still work, and we can have our shiny new interface in the clients
package available for anyone who wants to roll their own in the future.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this!

Cheers,

Chris