Couple of thoughts:

1. If we add new parameters to put(..), and new connectors implement only
this method, it makes them backward incompatible with older workers. I
think newer connectors may only choose to only implement the latest method,
and we are passing the compatibility problems back to the connector
developers.
2. if we deprecate the older put() method and eventually remove it, then
old connectors are forward incompatible. If we are not going to remove it,
then maybe we should not deprecate it?
3. if a record is realized to be erroneous outside put() (say, in flush or
preCommit), how will it be reported?

I do think the concern over aesthetics is an important one, but the
trade-off here is to exclude many connectors that are out there from
running on worker versions. there may be production deployments that need
one old and one new connector that now cannot work on any version of a
single worker. Building connectors is complex, and it's kinda unfair to
expect folks to make changes over aesthetic reasons alone. This is probably
the reason why popular framework APIs very rarely (and probably never)
change.

Overall, yes, the "public void errantRecordReporter(BiConsumer<SinkRecord,
Throwable> reporter) {}" proposal in the original KIP is somewhat of a
mouthful, but are there are any simpler alternatives that do not exclude
existing connectors, adding operational burdens and yet provide a clean
contract?

Best,

PS: Apologies if the language is incorrect or some points are unclear.