Hi Sophie,

I think your motivation makes sense, in fact before KIP-444 we used to have
processor-node-level process latency as DEBUG which would holistically
address the motivation but we removed it since it is indeed quite expensive
(I do not have concrete numbers at hand, but basically you'd have to call
system-wall-clock time a couple of time for each record, each processor
node), and in the long run I feel such scenarios would be less common if we
1) decouple caching from emitting and 2) always put suppression right
before sink only, and that's also why I've proposed to remove them in
KIP-444.

I missed an update in your wiki that right now you've updated the
task-level metric to be recorded at the sink node, and thought it is still
at the source node, but assuming it is still the case, then practically any
state store's staleness of the task could roughly be measured as that
task-level staleness plus a small delta (usually tens of mills), and the
down stream task B's staleness - up stream task A's staleness would capture
the suppression effect at the end of A plus the intermediate topic
producing -> consuming latency, which usually would not require to be
distinguished.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang