Hi Gokul Ramanan Subramanian,

Thanks for the KIP.

Can you please modify the KIP to remove the reference to the deprecated
--zookeeper flag?  This is not how kafka-configs.sh is supposed to be used in
new versions of Kafka.  You get a warning message if you do use this deprecated
flag.  As described in KIP-604, we are removing the --zookeeper flag in the
Kafka 3.0 release.  It also causes problems when people use the deprecated
access mode-- for example, as you note in this KIP, it bypasses resource limits
such as the ones described here.

Instead of WILL_EXCEED_PARTITION_LIMITS, how about RESOURCE_LIMIT_REACHED?
Then the error string can contain the detailed message about which resource
limit was hit (per broker limit, per cluster limit, whatever.)  It would also
be good to spell out that CreateTopicsPolicy plugins can also throw this
exception, for consistency.

I realize that 2 billion partitions seems like a very big number.  However,
filesystems have had to transition to 64 bit inode numbers as time has gone on.
 There doesn't seem to be any performance reason why this should be a 31 bit
number, so let's just make these configurations longs, not ints.

best,
Colin