Hi Jun and David,

Regarding token bucket vs, Rate behavior. We recently observed a couple of
cases where a bursty workload behavior would result in long-ish pauses in
between, resulting in lower overall bandwidth than the quota. I will need
to debug this a bit more to be 100% sure, but it does look like the case
described by David earlier in this thread. So, I agree with Jun -- I think
we should make all quota rate behavior consistent, and probably similar to
the token bucket one.

Looking at KIP-13, it doesn't describe rate calculation in enough detail,
but does mention window size. So, we could keep "window size" and "number
of samples" configs and change Rate implementation to be more similar to
token bucket:
* number of samples define our burst size
* Change the behavior, which could be described as: If a burst happens
after an idle period, the burst would effectively spread evenly over the
(now - window) time period, where window is (<number of samples> - 1)*
<window size>. Which basically describes a token bucket, while keeping the
current quota configs. I think we can even implement this by changing the
way we record the last sample or lastWindowMs.

Jun, if we would be changing Rate calculation behavior in bandwidth and
request quotas, would we need a separate KIP? Shouldn't need to if we
keep window size and number of samples configs, right?

Thanks,
Anna