Guozhang,

Just to clarify, the "heap" for all these objects is actually the C++ heap,
not the JVM heap. So in the words of a Java application these would
 all be considered "off-heap", right?

(Of course there are some pointers in the Java heap to the off-heap
objects but that size is trivial compared to the actual objects)

Sorry for being pedantic. I just happen to know this is a question that
gets frequently asked so it's probably good to be as clear  as possible
in the KIP/metrics description.

Also, can you clarify a bit what you mean by hard bounded vs soft bounded?
For example, my impression is that the memtables are actually not hard
bounded at all, while the block cache is soft bounded by default but can
be configured to be hard bounded. And obviously the OS cache is not
exactly bounded but it shouldn't cause you to run out of usable memory
(like the memtables for example might, and have). But I think maybe you're
using a different definition of hard/soft bounded than I'm thinking of