Hi Matthias,

IMHO, now as you explained using ‘global.consumer.auto.offset.reset’ is not as
straightforward
as it seems and it might change the existing behavior for users without they
releasing it, I also

think that we should change the behavior inside global stream thread to not die
on

InvalidOffsetException and instead clean and rebuild the state from the
earliest. On this, as you

mentioned that we would need to pause the stream threads till the global store
is completely restored.

Without it, there will be incorrect processing results if they are utilizing a
global store during processing.

So, basically we can divide the use-cases into 4 parts.

   - PAPI based global stores (will have the earliest hardcoded)
   - PAPI based state stores (already has auto.reset.config)
   - DSL based GlobalKTables (will have earliest hardcoded)
   - DSL based KTables (will continue with auto.reset.config)

So, this would mean that we are not changing any existing behaviors with this
if I am right.

I guess we could improve the code to actually log a warning for this

case, similar to what we do for some configs already (cf

StreamsConfig#NON_CONFIGURABLE_CONSUMER_DEFAULT_CONFIGS).

>> I like this idea. In case we go ahead with the above approach and if we
>> can’t

deprecate it, we should educate users that this config doesn’t work.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from others as well.

- Navinder    On Tuesday, 4 August, 2020, 05:07:59 am IST, Matthias J. Sax