Hey all,

I'm not convinced either epoch-aligned or data-aligned will fit all
possible use cases.
Both seem totally reasonable to me: data-aligned is useful for example when
you know
that a large number of updates to a single key will occur in short bursts,
and epoch-
aligned when you specifically want to get just a single update per discrete
time
interval.

Going a step further, though, what if you want just a single update per
calendar
month, or per year with accounting for leap years? Neither of those are
serviced that
well by the existing Windows specification to windowed aggregations, a
well-known
limitation of the current API. There is actually a KIP
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-645%3A+Replace+Windows+with+a+proper+interface>
going
on in parallel to fix this
exact issue and make the windowing interface much more flexible. Maybe
instead
of re-implementing this windowing interface in a similarly limited fashion
for the
Distinct operator, we could leverage it here and get all the benefits
coming with
KIP-645.

Specifically, I'm proposing to remove the TimeWindows/etc config from the
DistinctParameters class, and move the distinct() method from the KStream
interface
to the TimeWindowedKStream interface. Since it's semantically similar to a
kind of
windowed aggregation, it makes sense to align it with the existing windowing
framework, ie:

inputStream
    .groupKyKey()
    .windowedBy()
    .distinct()

Then we could use data-aligned windows if SlidingWindows is specified in
the
windowedBy(), and epoch-aligned (or some other kind of enumerable window)
if a Windows is specified in windowedBy() (or an EnumerableWindowDefinition
once KIP-645 is implemented to replace Windows).

*SlidingWindows*: should forward a record once when it's first seen, and
then not again
for any identical records that fall into the next N timeUnits. This
includes out-of-order
records, ie if you have a SlidingWindows of size 10s and process records at
time
15s, 20s, 14s then you would just forward the one at 15s. Presumably, if
you're
using SlidingWindows, you don't care about what falls into exact time
boxes, you just
want to deduplicate. If you do care about exact time boxing then you should
use...

*EnumerableWindowDefinition* (eg *TimeWindows*): should forward only one
record
per enumerated time window. If you get a records at 15s, 20s,14s where the
windows
are enumerated at [5,14], [15, 24], etc then you forward the record at 15s
and also
the record at 14s

Just an idea: not sure if the impedance mismatch would throw users off
since the
semantics of the distinct windows are slightly different than in the
aggregations.
But if we don't fit this into the existing windowed framework, then we
shouldn't use
any existing Windows-type classes at all, imo. ie we should create a new
DistinctWindows config class, similar to how stream-stream joins get their
own
JoinWindows class

I also think that non-windowed deduplication could be useful, in which case
we
would want to also have the distinct() operator on the KStream interface.

One quick note regarding the naming: it seems like the Streams DSL operators
are typically named as verbs rather than adjectives, for example. #suppress
or
#aggregate. I get that there's some precedent for  'distinct' specifically,
but
maybe something like 'deduplicate' would be more appropriate for the Streams
API.

WDYT?