Hello again, all,

Thank you for your feedback and patience. I am hopeful that
I have been able to come up with a solution that will
satisfy everyone.

Under a previous design iteration of the desired task idling
semantics in KIP-695, we did indeed require the behavior
change, but while I was considering all of your feedback, I
realized that that requirement is no longer present.

Just a little more detail in case you are curious: I had
initially wanted to make the task idling semantics
absolutely free of weird timing effects based on how
frequently Streams happens to call poll, so I built in a
mechanism that would force Streams to get back a _fresh_ lag
reponse from poll before proceeding to enforce processing.
However, this resulted in a severe performance degradation,
so I backed off to use a cache of the lag metadata.

What I realized just now is that under this change, there's
no longer a need to return metadata (or change behavior) in
Consumer#poll at all. The lag cache in Streams would always
be identical to the one inside the Consumer's
SubscriptionState. Therefore, I can instead just expose the
Consumer's lag in a new API. Here is what I propose:

/**
 * Get the consumer's current lag on the partition. Returns
an "empty" {@link OptionalLong} if the lag is not known,
 * for example if there is no position yet, or if the end
offset is not known yet.
 *
 * <p>
 * This method uses locally cached metadata and never makes
a remote call.
 *
 * @param topicPartition The partition to get the lag for.
 *
 * @return This {@code Consumer} instance's current lag for
the given partition.
 *
 * @throws IllegalStateException if the {@code
topicPartition} is not assigned
 **/
@Override
public OptionalLong currentLag(
  TopicPartition topicPartition
);

With this new API, we have a handy way to find out the lag
of the consumer without ever incurring a remote call. There
is no unnecessarily low-level config option to confuse
users. And there is no change in the behavior of any
existinng API to break users' programs.

I have implemented this end-to-end in a preview PR:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/10137

If this proposal sounds good to all of you, then I will go
ahead and update the KIP.

Sincerely yours,
-John