Hi,

As outlined in KIP-799: Align behaviour for producer callbacks with
documented behaviour
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-799%3A+Align+behaviour+for+producer+callbacks+with+documented+behaviour>,
there is an inconsistency between the documented behaviour and
implementation of producer callbacks for the Kafka client. The KIP proposes
breaking changes to the implementation of the Kafka producer client to
align the implementation with the documented behaviour, and includes a link
to a PR containing a tested implementation of the changes being recommended.

There is a need to take action here as a breaking change was previously
introduced accidentally, and the documentation was later updated to try to
reflect those breaking changes. I believe the main discussion here is
around the most appropriate behaviour for callbacks, which will inform
whether the implementation, documentation or a combination of both should
be updated. Right now, the documented behaviour aligns closely with the
implementation of ProducerInterceptors, and as a result I would favor
keeping the documented behaviour and updating the implementation to match,
as that would provide greater consistency between Callbacks and
Interceptors implementations for producers.

Regards,
Séamus.