Thanks John, I've been looking forward to this for a while now. It
was pretty horrifying to learn
how present-day IQ works  (or rather, doesn't work) with custom state
stores :/

One minor cosmetic point, In the InteractiveQueryRequest class, the #
getPartitions
method has a return type of Set<Integer>, but the javadocs refer to Optional.
Not
sure which is intended for this API, but if is supposed to be the return
type, do you perhaps
mean for it to be  Optional.ofEmpty() and Optional.of(non-empty set)
rather than Optional.of(empty set) and Optional.of(non-empty set) ?