Hi Matthias,

I didn't "save" the change. >.<
Anyway, you can refer to this WIP PR to have better understanding why/what
the new API is:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/11705/files#diff-c552e58e01169886c5d8b8b149f5c8cd48ea1fc1c3d7b932d055d3df9a00e1b5R464-R477

It's not necessary, actually, but it can make the implementation cleaner.
If you think this change is unnecessary and will make the `Stores` API more
complicated, it's fine to me.

I'll update the KIP after we have a conclusion for it.

Thank you.
Luke