> What do you think about instead adding topic and
partition to Record?

This is a very interesting idea. Forgot to consider this addition from
KIP-478.

`Record` would also require `offset`. Maybe implementing `RecordMetadata`
and adding these fields as part of the constructor to keep them immutable
in comparison to the other fields?
It would also need to change `Record`'s headers type to the new one
proposed on this KIP.

Let me explore this approach in more detail and update the KIP.

> I find the name "mapRecordValue" to be a bit confusing
  because it seems like it would map the value of a record.
  What do you think about "mapValueToRecord" instead?

Agree. It will depend on how we solve 1). If we end up using `Record` then
`mapValueToRecord` will make even more sense.

> I agree with adding the serde explicitly. However, it
would be good to state whether and when we'll automatically
wrap a value serde. For example, if the value serde is known
(or if we're using a default serde from the config), will
Streams automatically wrap it downstream of the record-
mapping operator?

Good point. The goal is as you describe it: only when `mapValueToRecord` is
called, the Serde will be implicitly applied.
Will make this explicit on the KIP.