Hi Matthias,

How about instead of changing the signature of the existing method to
variadic, we simply add a new overload which takes variadic args:

KStream<K, V> merge(KStream<K, V> first, KStream<K, V>... rest);

That way, we maintain both source *and* binary compatibility for the
existing method, and we can enforce that there is always at least one
stream (argument) being merged.

I'm fine dropping the static methods. As you said, this is mostly all just
syntax sugar anyway, but I do think allowing multiple streams to be merged
together is a benefit. My motivation was that we generate diagrams for our
Topologies, and having several binary merges becomes quite messy when a
single n-ary merge is what you're really modelling.

Regards,

Nick