On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 3:02 PM Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Given that we already have metadata.log.max.record.bytes.between.snapshots,
> we need to define how the two properties interact. I would expect that the
> time-based property would take effect only if the bytes-based property did
> not trigger. In other words, if you are regularly generating snapshots every
> hour because of your setting for
> metadata.log.max.record.bytes.between.snapshots, setting a time-based
> property for every 10 hours should have no effect. But if you would have only
> generated a snapshot every week by your
> metadata.log.max.record.bytes.between.snapshots setting, setting a time-based
> property for every 10 hours should result in a snapshot every 10 hours. And
> in that case the bytes-based property is effectively ignored.

Yes. This is exactly how I was planning to implement this. I was
debating if I should go into this level of detail in the KIP or to
leave this discussion to the PR review. Either way, I updated the KIP
to provide some guidance to the implementation.

> ... it suggests that the configuration name should include "max" somewhere to
> indicate that it is a maximum only and not necessarily the duration value
> that will result from the sum total of all configurations. So maybe
> metadata.log.max.snapshot.interval.ms?

Sounds good to me. I updated the name of the property to
`metadata.log.max.snapshot.interval.ms`.

--
-José